I was going to save this until I was finished. I’ve been working on it, making those 4 patches I was telling you about for quite some time. Lately, since Lisa has been here helping me to keep the house up, I’ve had more opportunities be creative with this.
I chose this quilt because, well, I love it. I always wanted to make this doll quilt into (see sidebar) full size, even those years ago when we finished it in Lori’s Quilt-along. I never forgot the dream to make it for my bed and then the wrist happened. Yep, the wrist happened and it’s been challenging and a growing experience. I’ve had time to realize now is the time to move those “always wanted to make” quilts from the back of my mind to the forefront. Don’t wait. So I started. …even if it has been only a little four patch here and there it’s coming along.
It’s working but there have been technical difficulties!
I was disturbed. This photo was take a while back but this is the stage when something was wrong with it, something wasn’t working. After days and days of struggle trying to work out what was wrong, I had some help over (Lisa and her husband – yes, you are seeing a pattern here) doing other things. So doing other things with friends, on that day, getting space from this, it struck me the cheddar was all wrong. It had too much going on and the type of cheddar was a bit too light, not quite right. The change in cheddar is slight and mostly due to the print I think but in person the first cheddar is lighter than the second one for sure.
I changed the fabric, right? This is what I was using:
Paula Barnes Companions
and now I’m using this:
Paula Barnes Companions
Where possible I unsewed the blocks and swapped out the cheddar. Where the block was too deep, too sewn into the quilt, I left it alone.
This photo shows the tone of the cheddar a little bit better. You can see it’s a bit darker and I think it improves the quilt.
The block colors were troubling me as well but after I took a couple of photographs of it, walked away then came back with a beer, I decided it’s coming along just fine. Yeah, looking at this photo and I feel like my creativity is possibly working.
A bit of technical info:
- The little quilt is 1″ finished squares and this one is 2″ finished squares. I’m going to be interested to see how that effects the charm of the quilt.
- 8″ blocks
- Directions for the little quilt are in the Summer 2012 issue of Primitive Quilts.
PS: the doll size version of this quilt was made on the design wall so I’m doing that here but at this size, it’s difficult to lay everything out and transition from one section to the next. I don’t think I can explain it but making this bigger isn’t quite easy – that’s all.