Well you’re not doing anything with it!
I have this quilt that was left unbound and unattended in the back bedroom. At some point one of my cats who shall remain nameless tinkled on it. I was blissfully unaware until I picked it up to finish the binding. Yee Gads!!! I didn’t take a picture of the urine stain but it was there – red bleed and all. The location of the bleed was at the seam where the red star fabric meets the red shirting (but this pic is only for reference – again, its not the stain).
I gotta tell ya, I was so bummed. I wasn’t planning on sharing this because I figured the quilt was ruined. I try to keep my blog upbeat and that post wasn’t going to fit the bill. So fine, no sharing but still, I was going to have to wash it. What to do? I started thinking and something miraculous happened. Worth sharing.
Since I don’t wash my fabrics ahead of time I wasn’t sure how to deal with the addition of Retayne while simultaneously trying to get out the urine. I mean, I didn’t want the chemicals in Retayne to set the urine stain. Not that it would but who knows?
When I have a fabric question I usually contact Sio [Scraps and Threadtales] to get some feedback. After we talked I had some ideas how to work with this so I finished the binding and if you’re ever in this situation (which I’m sure you won’t be but just in case) here’s how I chose to handle cat urine on my unwashed quilt:
- Place the urinated area in the sink with cold water and rinse out all urine. Then repeat x 7643 more times. Fortunately the stain was near the edge of the quilt so the multiple cold water rinse in the sink wasn’t a big deal.
- Spray the location with Nature’s Miracle. At this point I was irritated so I said screw it only with a little more trash to my talk if you get my drift. Seriously though, I did hope the fabric wouldn’t bleed more with the use of Nature’s Miracle (it didn’t). I let the NM sit for 5 minutes as per directions, then rinsed. Looked good but who can tell when its wet?
- Washed in machine with Retayne as per my usual routine. I was nervous but said screw it again.
- Pulled out of the machine and ahh, looks good. Now I’m starting to care again.
- Washed once more in cold water because it made me feel better.
- It still looked good so I just went for it and tossed it in the dryer and here, because the heat was going to set whatever I couldn’t see, I went back to that bad attitude and said screw it, I’m over it.
Keep in mind one of those shirtings is red so that’s not the bleed. The bleed was at the seam of the star and the red shirting. The urine was a big circle. You be the judge. Do you think Nature’s Miracle worked or what? Click for a close up. I’m thinking it did.
Nature’s Miracle really is a miracle.